When I think about the greatest obstacle that I face in moving forward in life I can boil it down to one word- fear. I come by this honestly- from my family of origin, from being in volatile situations at a young age, and from being in the orb of people- for extended periods of time- who did not take my well-being into consideration. Fear makes me feel like a victim- like I have no power to act or to improve my lot in life.
More than anything, fear holds you back from your God-given destiny. Fear:
- freezes and paralyzes you
- terrifies and taunts you
- impairs your judgment
- blinds you to options available to you
It doesn’t really matter whether the fear is justified or irrational- the results in your life and leadership are the same. Fear steals from you the motivation to go after what you really want in life. It debilitates you. Fear causes things in your life that are entirely achievable to appear to be out of reach.
How much time and emotional energy is wasted with concerns about what others will think of and interpret our actions or whether our next venture will be successful?
Timothy, like most of us, struggled with fear as a young leader. His mentor sought to free him with a three pronged truth in 2 Tim. 1:7:
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.“
To be free of fear you need to understand and declare out loud (don’t worry if you startle others within earshot!) that:
- God empowers me with the ability to think commandingly and clearly about what I am facing. I have been endowed with a sound mind that can calmly discern the best course of action.
- God has given me the depth of character to respond in love even when, and especially when, actions towards me have been ignorant or cruel. I can consider and choose the option that will take into consideration the well-being of others.
- God has given me the capacity to take decisive action in spite of fear. I am free to act whether or not fear is present. God has given me the power to do so!
It feels empowering and liberating doesn’t it?
What would the rest of your day- let alone the rest of your life- look like if you operated from this mindset instead of a fearful one?!
For practice- take one step (or more) of decisive action towards your life dreams today. Go for it!
Question: Do you have other ways of conquering fear in your life? You can leave a comment by clicking here.